Latest Read: Susannah by Janet Hickman

I read this book as I was a bit alarmed that my daughter was going to do a book report on it. I did not know much about the Shakers before I started to read it. I actually thought that Shakers and Quakers were the same and did not like the fact that the book promised to show an unflattering picture of a religious group. 

I learned a lot - read the wiki page for Shakers after I finished the book. They believe in the equality of men and women in society and religion and the movement was founded by a woman. I also remembered that the straight line furniture that I have in my family room is Shaker - it is beautiful. I used to know that but had forgotten over the years. Now I appreciate its simplicity and sturdiness even more.

The book is about a young girl who comes to live with a new Shaker community in Ohio after her mother passes away and her father decides to join the group. Some of the events and people in the book are real. As an adult reading this book I can sympathize with her father and understand why he brought her there. It is a good book for a young person and it will initiate good conversations about mourning, parents' rights over children, kindness and bravery. 


No comments: